The Betsy Scrivener

Band Places Second in State

Back to Article
Back to Article

Band Places Second in State

Torie Jones, Staff Reporter

What does band mean to you, “Band means always having a second family? It means more than just playing notes, having a spot in a show, or spending my Saturdays on a field. Music will continue to have an impact on my life and band will continue to shape me into a better person” Tayla Dugger. In everyone’s interview band made them a family and grow closer not only does it help them in education but it helps them in their social life. The class can teach you life lessons respect and even more. Bands not only educational it’s magical to many of people’s life. The state competition took place at Stewarts Creek in Nashville, Tn. out of 22 bands the range went down in finals. 10 bands further competed in the finals. In first place came Adamsville along in second place came Elizabethton High. Adamsville won by 1.85 points which left us to try harder next year and take home that big trophy.

Seniors

Band has turned so many people’s life up and down from creating them into a better person to just changing their life completely. According to Malena Pierce “Band has shaped me into an incredible human being”. It can shape you into many different aspects than you were the day you joined. Band means a lot to them by the way it has shaped their personality. The two seniors that I proceed to interview said that they preferred marching band over Concert band. From both seniors responses there was nothing the band could have done to improve their chances at winning. I asked them if the amount of travel affected their performance the continued to reply with that it didn’t really affect them and their performance.

Juniors

I got to interview one junior Tayla Dugger. I asked her if she thought she had improved since the first day of band camp she replied with,” Throughout the year, my marching skills and leadership skills have improved. I’ve gained more confidence in myself…” According to band members, “Band is like one big family that has sections with a leader that teaches the others leadership and life lessons.” Band has thought many members and would be inspiring if it thought non band members.

Sophomore

What do you think helps a section grow as a unit? ‘ We help each other through as much as we can with anything even if it isn’t band related, we always find common interest with one another,” stated Tiffani Shouse. Band is supposed to help you show your love for music but also help you gain discipline and respect. With this most members said they didn’t lose they got beat by a team whose performance was better than the best bands.

Freshman

According to Caitlyn Glover, “To me band is a way to always be improving myself. There is always a measure I can do better. Overall band is something fun to focus on other than the academic side of school.” According to this quote band is a way to improve different skills and something to do other than school. I proceed to ask how the band members coped with the anxiety of the competition. Emily Shepherd proceed to stay,” I took it like we were at home and it was just another practice.”

Band is one big family with all grade groups (9-12) combined. Band is split into different sections according on which instrument you choose. Instruments go as far as Clarinet to Tuba. When you’ve done the same thing so many time so much your mind kicks into Automatic. Band has an impact on everyone’s life at EHS from supporting to being in it.