The Betsy Scrivener

Working on the Weekends

Brittany Thurman, Staff Reporter

Getting a job is one of many accomplishments a person will experience. Having a job as a sixteen or seventeen year old can be very challenging, but very beneficial. Managing homework and school can be a little stressful at points, at the same time it teaches us life skills, and soon enough we learn to adapt. I got my job at the age of sixteen at Food City. I was nervous at first, it was a new setting and it included new people. I continuously talked about getting a job, but never had the motivation to do so.  A lot of young people get a job and then decide it’s not for them, and quit shortly upon arrival.

Teenagers expect things to be handed to them, without learning any valuable life lessons. A job prepares teens for adulthood, and the sooner we learn the better and more prepared we can be.  Most of the time I work a 20-25 hour week on top of being in high school.  Some nights it can be stressful, and I want to give up, but then I think about growing up and being on my own. A job teaches us how to manage our money, and it can also be very beneficial for people skills.

“Having a job since fourteen has been a very influential part of my life. Working from such a young age has given me countless opportunities and valuable life lessons. I have developed responsibilities that are and will be incredibly important as I enter adulthood,” said Aubrey Toncray.  A job does provide many opportunities and may help decided a career path, especially if you work a job you don’t enjoy, then you know it’s not for you.  A teen job teaches us to be responsible, leadership skills, professional development, and teamwork.  A job also teaches us how to be independent; we can’t leech off our parents forever.

Life gives us many obstacle courses, and having a job helps not only because of the paycheck, but also because of the responsibilities. I believe the experience would be different for all depending on the job. Young people should realize the benefits of having a job, and that life hits fast, sometimes in the blink of an eye. All in all, teenagers that have jobs learn life skills faster, and realize how much a job can help.