The Betsy Scrivener

Adam Rose: Rapper in the Making

Elizabeth Underhill, Staff Reporter

I first heard of Adam Rose when I was at home with my sister and she was letting me listen to songs that people at her school had recorded.  Adam’s music was the first person she played.  It was so amazing that someone in our school could record music like this.   Adam Rose is a junior here at Elizabethton High School.  When you meet him, he looks like the average high school student.  I wanted to interview him and do an article about him because I have a huge passion for music and so does he.  Adam told me that he first got into hip hop and R&B when he was in the car with his dad and the song “Not Afraid,” by Eminem came on the radio. Now to most people, rap music wasn’t that uncommon.  Adam was telling me that his family listened to Italian opera and classical music.  But he also said that his dad was the rebel; he listened to rock music.

Adam said “It was really cool.  They mashed the words together and said them really fast.”  He was telling me how he was inspired by Logic and Eminem.  Rose said that he writes everyday; he feels like with each time he writes lyrics he gets better.  Just like someone would practice for a sport.  It also takes him some time to find a beat or rhymes for songs that he wants to produce.  He contacts a producer and the producer then sends him some beats and if he feels like he can make something out he’ll lease it. He hasn’t leased a song yet but he said the he hopes to soon. I also asked him how long it takes for him to produce a song to release to the public; he said it really just depends.  “If there is a lot of lairing on the choruses or stuff like auto tune then it could take a while.  On my last one it took me hours of editing and like an hour of actually recording.”  So if you wanted to pursue a career in the music industry you really have to be committed.

He gave a couple of classes a presentation about the music industry, more specifically, the hip hop industry.  He went over different topics like how to get music labels to notice you on social media platforms and the differences between recording at a professional recording studio and a home studio.  Adam records his own music at a home.  He said that he feels that you can get more experimentation from recording at home, but it can be costly. He also said  “You would have to get a mic and other items used for the recording process.  At a professional studio you just head into the studio and record and leave the rest of the editing up to the professional editor.”  So it’s really down to choosing whether you want to take the time and learn how to record and edit your own music, or paying money to have someone do all of that stuff for you.  I really do truly think that Adam will have a very successful career in the music industry.  He is a very talented rapper and arranger for the music he produces.  Adam also has a SoundCloud account so you could go and check him out there.