The Betsy Scrivener

A Cut Above

Tyreese Boren, Freelance Journalist

A Cut Above

boars hair brush and straight razor

My dream job is that I want to own my own barber shop. My goal in life is to get better at what I want to do. There are many things I love at the barber shop that include meeting new people, having great conversations, and just being able to laugh and cut up. The vision for my barber shop is a loving place that you can cut up, eat breakfast, and have some drinks. I also want the red-white-blue barber sign outside my shop for that old-school feel.

My vision for the inside of the shop would include: sports on the tv’s while cutting hair, red and blue on the walls with pictures of people getting their hair cut, and black and white checkerboard tiles on my floors. The floor plan would have an open concept with glass windows to allow natural light and an easy view from inside and outside. There would be three chairs including mine.

It is important to me to be able to cut all types of hair not just one particular style. I want all people to feel welcome. The services I will offer will be fades ($15), bald fades ($10), edge-ups ($5), coloring ($20), face line-ups ($10), and tapers ($15).  I want to make it affordable for families also, so I will offer a $5 kids cut with an adult hair cut ($15).

Furthermore, barbers have fears about their line of work sometimes. They can be afraid that they are going to mess up and in turn, the customer may not be satisfied. Also, a barber must spend 1500 hours in order to get their license. This takes 9-12 months if you don’t owe anything, and you put in full-time work at 40 hours per week.  As far as how long it takes for an individual cut, various barbers say it takes about 30 minutes, but some add the extra 10 minutes depending on the service.  It is also important for a client to know some questions you need to ask your barber. The following topics/questions are good to ask:

• Sports
  • Everyday life
  • What type of service you want
  • When was your last haircut?
  • How do you like your side burns?
  • What guards do I need to use on your hair?
  • What is a good haircut for my face shape
  • How do you like your neck line?
  • Do you want me to make any changes to your beard and facial hair?
  • Do you have any birth marks or scars that I need to know about?

After talking to a few local barbers, here are some important questions and answers they provided.

Q: What is your biggest fear in cutting a client’s hair?

A: Micah: My biggest fear is that they won’t be satisfied with the service I provide.

Darrel: You are always afraid that you are going to mess up.

Tyreese: I feel the same way; it can be nerve-wracking that I’m going to mess up.

Q: How long does it take you to get your master barber’s license?

A: Micah: It will take 1,500 hours.

Darrel: It will take about one year if you don’t owe anything.

Tyreese: According to the state department website, 1,500 hours can be completed in roughly 9-12 months if you put in full-time (40 hours per week).

Q: How long does it usually take to cut one client’s hair?

A: Micah: On average, it takes about thirty minutes.

Darrel: For me, it takes between 20-30 minutes.

Q: How can you get me, at my age, to where I want to be? What advice would you give me?

A: Micah: I would tell you that it is important to help you understand your potential. You can tap into your potential by getting rid of excuses.

Darrel: It is important to believe in yourself and not worry about what other people say. Stay focused on what you want to do.

Q: What are some questions that you need to ask your barber?

A: Micah: Some good questions/topics to ask your barber would be about sports and everyday life.

Darrel: Make sure the barber knows what you want and not what he wants. It is all about the customer.

Tyreese: When was your last haircut?  How do you like your side burns?  What guards do I need to use on your hair? What is a good haircut for my face shape? How do you like your neck line? Do you want me to make any changes to your beard and facial hair?  Do you have any birth marks or scars that I need to know about?