The Betsy Scrivener

Class To Congress

A teacher helping students with their research

JP Abner

JP Abner

JP Abner, Editor

Samuel Church, an EHS English teacher is taking an unorthodox approach to instructing his students in rhetoric and proper research methods. Mr. Church felt the best way to learn such things was to become involved with current events. As acts of violence against schools and their students are on the rise, those in Church’s class have been tasked with doing research through the most reputable sources they can find, so that they may form an informed opinion on how best to improve the safety of educational institutions.

Once they have a fully formed stance, Church then stated that he would have them structure an argument in the form of a persuasive research paper to send to their congressmen. In fact he hopes to set up a video conference with said representative and a handful of the most devoted students.  While it is still unclear if Tennessee’s congressional representatives will respond, Church reportedly said, “I have never seen students this invested in a project. Whenever I talk to them about it they’re angry about it, which is good. They are angry about the misinformation, about what the media portrays and the way it defines things. I think they are so invested because they feel like they have a voice, because even though it isn’t guaranteed to make it to their representative, there is still a possibility that it will, and they are taking that possibility very seriously.”

Currently the class in the research stage of their project, and while contact with the state representatives is not guaranteed, Church feels his students stand a good chance of getting through to them.