The Betsy Scrivener

Students to Recreate Classic Shakespearean Play

Language Arts pod

Language Arts pod

JP Abner

JP Abner

Language Arts pod

Samuel Church and his Sophomore English class are re-imagining a Shakespeare play: the classic Julius Caesar. Instead of being set in ancient Rome, it has been moved to a modern day high school. He has assigned one part of his class to figure out how to change each character’s name to fit with modern day substitutes. Another group is figuring out what location best fits the setting, transitioning from Italy to Louisiana, as the students in question feel Louisiana resembles Italy in geography and topography. Along with changing the setting and characters, Church has a third group of students deciding which key plot points and themes need to be kept, and which should be removed.

The majority of students interviewed felt the project was something worth doing, and all of them were proud to be a part of it. When asked how they felt about Church’s involvement, one student said he was “a cool dude”, and all students agreed that he gave the necessary help without taking over the project.

While Church helps the students with the writing, he has had Meg Foster helping with the theatric aspect of the play. She spoke to the class and taught them a bit about theater and writing plays. She showed them how a stage is laid out, how to properly write stage directions, and other important pieces of a good play. Mrs. Foster hopes to have her drama class act out Church’s Modern Julius Casesar once it’s written.

Foster hopes by that time, she will have her own area in the school where her students can act. This new addition would consist of a stage around 15×20 ft, an area in which to display student work, such as paintings, collages, or even plays, as well as a storage space for sets, props and other larger assets. The courtyard would remain open air, but a pavilion would be installed to provide shelter from the elements. The idea was originally proposed by Terry Smith, Elizabethton High School’s Bartleby Director, and since then it has gained the support of both the drama department, and administration. As of this moment, there is no firm date set for when this project will be completed. However, Mrs. Foster has been assured that it could be built as early as next semester. If anyone has any questions concerning the stage and its construction, Mrs. Foster would be ecstatic to answer them.